Five short years after Polaris shocked the world, reinventing the snowmobile by introducing the PRO-RIDE chassis on the RUSH model, the brand with a track record of 60 years of Terrain Domination is doing it again.
Polaris engineering, innovation, manufacturing capabilities and passionate understanding of what real riders really want have led to the all-new AXYS™ platform, the next-generation premium performance platform that is rider-balanced for terrain-dominating control.
Polaris began development of the AXYS platform with a clean sheet of paper and a simple goal: To radically raise the bar in the three dimensions that define world-class snowmobiles: Control, performance and comfort.
The all-new AXYS platform delivers the ultimate riding experience:
• Rider Balanced Control
• Unrivaled Acceleration
• Rider-Centric Comfort
Polaris is introducing a total of nine new 2015 RUSH and Switchback models built on the AXYS platform.
The foundation for the AXYS platform is an all-new chassis. This all-new chassis is built from the ground up with 93% new parts, including a carbon-fiber overstructure. The new chassis structure and design make it possible to change the rider positioning, centralize vehicle mass, redesign the rear suspension, add more power, remove weight, and evolve the rider’s riding experience. In short, it is the key to delivering rider-balanced control, unrivaled acceleration, and rider-centric comfort.
RIDER BALANCED™ CONTROL
Rider Balanced™ Control gives the rider:
• Flatter cornering without sacrificing the fun factor
• More precise handling in all conditions
• Better control in big bumps AND chatter bumps
How did Polaris® get there?
1. Put the rider in the right location on the sled.
2. Centralized the vehicle mass.
3. Optimized the suspension geometry to better control pitch.
Rider Balanced™ means putting the rider in the perfect position on the sled. The new chassis does just this, resulting in maximum control and maximum fun factor – at the same time.
On the new chassis, the rider is moved forward to a more balanced position on the sled. The rider’s hands are moved 4.5″ forward, the feet are 2″ forward, the knees are 4.5″ farther forward, and the seat is 4.5″ forward to put the rider in the perfect position to enjoy complete control of the sled and a great ride
In neutral riding position, the AXYS™ platform allows the sled to corner like it’s on rails with very little tip in the corners. When the trail gets rough or the rider jumps off into the powder, rider balance then enables the rider to move back and make the front end light to climb up on top of the snow or the moguls.
This perfect balance is unequaled by rider-forward competitors whose sleds can handle unpredictably in the rough, or can exhibit excessive ski-pressure on-trail, effectively diminishing the fun factor. Polaris delivers balance where others deliver forward bias.
Centralized Vehicle Mass
Vehicle mass is more centralized on the new chassis, enhancing cornering and control. The rider experiences easier and more precise handling.
Suspension Design & Positioning
The completely redesigned geometry of the all-new PRO-XC progressive-rate rear suspension is optimized for the best performance and Rider Balanced™ Control. Through innovative Polaris engineering and construction, the suspension is both lighter and stronger.
• It features a lightweight, forged aluminum rear crank.
• It has a completely redesigned crank and pivot.
• The front torque arm was moved rearward. This helps control pitch, increase travel, and improve the rail profile.
The all-new PRO-XC suspension delivers Active Pitch Control™. With Active Pitch Control, pitch is controlled by the suspension geometry and not simply by a high spring rate. This makes the sled less sensitive to adjustment while allowing optimal weight transfer.
As a result, the PRO-XC suspension delivers improved performance in ALL conditions, at all speeds. In big bumps and stutter bumps, at high and low speeds, the more compliant suspension setup produces:
• Flatter Cornering: Inside ski lift is significantly reduced.
• Chatter Bump Control: Control through chatter bumps is significantly increased. The front end of the sled stays planted even when accelerating through a corner.
• More-controlled Weight Transfer: A rider can enjoy strong, high-acceleration launches without any compromise in cornering precision.
The AXYS platform delivers exactly what every rider craves: more power and less weight, resulting in unrivaled, class-leading acceleration. Polaris® achieved a 15% improvement in the power-to-weight ratio on AXYS.
• Class-leading acceleration and speed through the ¼ mile
• Class-leading 0-60 mph
• Class-leading corner-to-corner acceleration for 30-50 mph
*Based on internal Polaris testing utilizing MY14 competitive product.
• With its clean-sheet approach to developing the AXYS platform, Polaris engineers minimized weight throughout the sled without compromising strength.
• Selected models are up to 38 pounds lighter than they were on the previous chassis.
• The 2015 RUSH on the AXYS platform weighs at least 30 lb. less than a competitive trail performance model.
• While the weight was reduced, the sled’s strength, durability and reliability were maintained
New 800 H.O. Engine
Developed in conjunction with the AXYS platform, the new 800 H.O. engine delivers outstanding power and its integrated mounting position optimizes the balance of the chassis.
It features a high-efficiency intake and exhaust – including a 3-stage electronically-controlled exhaust valve. This delivers:
• Improved running quality and quieter ride
• Automotive smart actuator that provides feedback to the ECU for more accurate position and failsafe
• Fuel economy improvement
The electronic oil pump eliminates power-robbing gear drive – and provides more precise, improved oil delivery.
• 35% reduction in throttle effort
• More accurate & consistent oil delivery
• Altitude and temperature compensating
• Features diagnostics and failsafe
The engine weight was reduced by 3.5 lb., including a lightweight new engine mounting system and innovative, lightweight new materials that help reduce noise and weight.
Thermostat with Bypass:
• Warms up to operating temperature 40% faster
• Water flows through the engine at all times
• No possibility of cold shocking the engine
New Throttle Body:
• Lighter weight
• Reduced throttle effort
• Improved TPS location & orientation to prevent water intrusion
Improved Engine Air Flow
Polaris drivetrain engineers optimized the airflow in the new 800 H.O. engine with high-efficiency intake and exhaust and free-flowing, less-restrictive air flow, resulting in increased power output.
All-New Crankshaft = Enhanced Acceleration
The new, lightweight crankshaft provides the same balance as the previous crankshaft – with a 2.5-pound weight reduction in rotating mass. That produces a 25% reduction in inertia, improved throttle response and increased acceleration. The engine reaches its optimal operating RPM faster.
In the 2013-2014 snocross racing season, this lighter crankshaft delivered holeshot-winning enhanced acceleration for Polaris snocross racers. Recreational riders will experience enhanced acceleration from corner to corner – plus the engine delivers significantly improved fuel economy at trail speeds.
The AXYS™ platform also raises the bar for rider comfort. Rider-Centric highlights of the AXYS platform include:
Integrated Storage: Storage was designed and developed right along with the AXYS platform, so it installs securely and easily, and features seamless, integrated styling that matches the sled’s design lines.
Enhanced Wind Protection: The hood and windshield designs produce significantly enhanced wind protection for a rider, and the foil on the side panels further enhances protection.
Improved Left-Hand Controls: The new left-hand controls feature improved ergonomics, updated styling, and enhanced hand and thumb warmer control. Controls are easy to operate with gloves on, and have an improved tactile feel.
More Comfortable Seat: The new seat utilizes a new high-performance seat foam, and the seat design is narrower in front to provide greater maneuverability. The seat is easily interchangeable with an accessory 2-up seat for true 2-up seating.
Longer, Larger Running Boards: The new seat is complemented by wider running boards that give the rider more options in foot and leg positioning. RUSH® running boards have 15% more space, Switchback running board space is increased by 11%.
Industry’s First LED Premium Lighting: Models built on the AXYS™ platform feature the industry’s first LED headlights as standard equipment. New LED headlights deliver the industry’s best lighting for significantly better visibility. Model Year 2015 AXYS LED lights are 30% brighter and nearly 1 lb. lighter.
Industry-Leading Color LCD Digital Gauge: Another industry first for Polaris, the AXYS 60th Anniversary models feature the most advanced instrumentation in snowmobiling.
Premium Fit & Finish: Interfacing surfaces between body panels and components are shorter for minimized gaps.
AXYS™ PRO-S AND PRO-X
Polaris is introducing the AXYS platform in two distinct, equally premium trim levels for both RUSH and Switchback models: PRO-S and PRO-X™. Polaris dealers will stock PRO-S models, and PRO-X models are available exclusively through SnowCheck Select.
Compared to the PRO-S setup, PRO-X models have:
• 2.5″ higher ride height
• IFS Shocks that are 1.5″ longer, resulting in more IFS travel
• Higher-rate springs on all shocks
• Taller 5″ handlebar riser
All models have Walker Evans Clicker Shocks, though PRO-S and PRO-X models have different ride heights and spring rates for optimized performance.
PRO-S models deliver:
• Most precise handling
• Flattest cornering on groomed and bumpy trails
• Erases the stutter bumps
The PRO-S features:
• Walker Evans® Clicker shocks
• RUSH®: 120″ x 15″ x 1.25″ Ripsaw II track
• Switchback®: 137″ x 15″ x 1.25″ Ripsaw II track
PRO-X models deliver:
• Ultimate big bump control
• Stand-up riding bias
• Dominates the ditches & moguls
The PRO-X™ features:
• Walker Evans® Clicker shocks
• RUSH®: 120″ x 15″ x 1.75″ Backcountry X track
• Switchback®: 137″ x 15″ x 1.75″ Backcountry X track
PRO-X models are available exclusively through MY15 SnowCheck Select
2015 RUSH PRO-S MODELS: Sharpest Handling, Quickest Accelerating
Built on the all-new AXYS™ platform, the 2015 RUSH PRO-S models are the new standard in trail performance. The 2015 models are the:
• 800 RUSH PRO-S
• 600 RUSH PRO-S
2015 SWITCHBACK PRO-S MODELS: Smoothest Riding, Most Versatile
Built on the all-new AXYS platform, the industry’s best crossover sleds just got better. The 2015 model lineup includes:
• 800 Switchback PRO-S and 600 Switchback PRO-S
• 600 Switchback Adventure, which features the Adventure Cargo System
60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITIONS
Available exclusively through SnowCheck Select, specially equipped 60th Anniversary Edition RUSH and 60th Anniversary Edition Switchback models celebrate 60 years of Polaris Terrain Domination®. They feature AXYS storage, a painted tunnel and rails, and the interactive color LCD gauge.
Five 60th Anniversary Models built on the AXYS platform are available through MY15 SnowCheck:
• 600 and 800 RUSH SnowCheck Limited Edition, 60th Anniversary Model
• 600 and 800 Switchback SnowCheck Limited Edition, 60th Anniversary Model
• 600 Switchback Adventure SnowCheck Limited Edition, 60th Anniversary Model
Polaris is a recognized leader in the powersports industry with annual 2013 sales of $3.8 billion. Polaris designs, engineers, manufactures and markets innovative, high quality off-road vehicles, including all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and the Polaris RANGER and RZR side-by-side vehicles, snowmobiles, motorcycles and on-road electric/hybrid powered vehicles. Polaris is among the global sales leaders for both snowmobiles and off-road vehicles and has established a presence in the heavyweight cruiser and touring motorcycle market with the Victory and Indian Motorcycle brands. Additionally, Polaris continues to invest in the global on-road small electric/hybrid powered vehicle industry with Global Electric Motorcars (GEM), Goupil Industrie SA, Aixam Mega S.A.S., and internally developed vehicles. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a complete line of Polaris Engineered parts, accessories and apparel and Klim branded apparel. Polaris Industries Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol PII, and the Company is included in the S&P Mid-Cap 400 stock price index.
Information about the complete line of Polaris products, apparel and vehicle accessories are available from authorized Polaris dealers or anytime at www.polaris.com.