5 REASONS NOT TO BUY A HYPERSLED
We give a lot of space to writing about the biggest, most powerful offerings in the snowmobile business.
True, most of the hype coming from the snowmobile OEMs is focused on the 800-850 class and the turbocharged 4-stroke sleds from Cat and Yamaha.
Interestingly, when it comes to plunking down cash for a new ride, a considerable number of the masses walk past these hyper models and look for sleds maxing out at about 130-hp.
Yes, there are still plenty of sales for the big-inch, big-horse sleds but the actual sales stats favor the tamer beasts.
1. The 600 class is really, really good. If you spend any time riding the newest crop of 600 2-strokes, you'll soon learn how powerful and quick-accelerating they are. We continually meet people who tell us they actually prefer the manners of a 600 compared to an 800 or 850.
2. You'll save at least a grand, and usually more, by buying a 600 instead of an 800. If you go for a 600 over a turbo, you're looking at three to four thou difference. Buying a Viper instead of a SideWinder will save you at least the same as the comparison between a 600 and an 800.
3. Most 600s use the same shocks and tracks as 800s and turbos. Thus, the riding experience is almost identical, save for more top end on tap with the bigger-inch sleds. It means you can pretty much trail ride a 600 head-to head with the bigger stuff day-in, day-out.
4. The used-sled market trusts used 600-class and mid-sized 4-strokes more than used big-inchers. It's always interesting to us how, three-years-old, there's not much difference in the resale price of a 600 compared to a hyper (with the exception of the turbo-4-strokes). Could it be because the perception is bigger sleds lead a harsher life?
5. You will be in the majority. Talk to people who own ACE 900s, 4-TECs, Vipers, and any 600 2-stroke and they will tell you how happy they are with the quietness, lack of smoke, reliability, durability, gas mileage and pure riding pleasure they get. It's why these sleds are the meat of the snowmobile market.
More Like This
UPCOMING SNOWTRAX AIRTIMES
LATEST VIDEOS View All
Full REVIEW: 2018 Polaris 600 RUSH XCR
April 3, 2018
In our closing Test Ride of the season, AJ squeezes the fun flipper as he reviews the spirited ...
2018 Revolutionary Advanced Design Award
April 2, 2018
The SnowTrax tradition of recognizing technological innovations in the snowmobile universe ...
2018 Real World Sled of the Year
April 1, 2018
The final snowmobile showdown of the 2018 Season commences. . .
Woody's Traction Snowmobile Stud Comparison
March 28, 2018
AJ gets some help from Woody’s as he reveals some eye-opening results on the advantages of ...
MBRP's Arctic Cat 800 C-TEC2 Trail & Race Exhaust Review
March 27, 2018
AJ reviews MBRP’s latest Trail and Race performance exhausts which are designed specifically ...
Top Gear View All
March 26, 2018
WOODY'S TWIST SCREWS
Get a grip! And we mean that literary with Woody's Twist Screws.
Ask Motorhead View All
March 30, 2018
ENDURO SUSPENSION CONFUSION
Motorhead Mark weighs in on a reader's problem finding the most compliant suspension settings on his Ski-Doo Enduro...
Press Releases View All
March 29, 2018
TEAM ARCTIC SETS HISTORIC WIN PERCENTAGES DURING 2018 SNOWMOBILE RACE SEASON
Team Green Captures More than 60 Percent of all Class wins, 50 Percent of all Podiums and 75 percent of all Championship Titles in ...
Tourism View All
March 21, 2018
Québec Original – Ride Where the Passion Began
Ask any rider anywhere and they’ll tell you: When it comes to snowmobiling, Québec is the best place on earth!